Wednesday, May 27, 2026

THE AXIS OF THE UNIVERSE

Another poem that is based on an event. I was moving the rice pan to the sink to wash when the thought occurred.


the water

in the burnt rice pan

turns

swirls

returns

and

in

that

precise instant

becomes

the axis of the universe



A good exercise is to write about what you have just done. This could take the form of a set of instructions or, like this poem, an impressionistic account of a single second. Such exercises help to improve your chops.



This second example was written when I flew to Madrid to meet my wife and the hotel I was booked into was hosting a football team. I dislike sport and I found the sight of all these men running around the place in football gear rather surreal.  

another love poem


that hotel you booked for me

was on a loser from the start

the reception cluttered as it was

by grown men in black and white football strip

who should have out grown that sort of thing by their age

but then look at me

pulled by my heart across Europe towards you


I think I prefer the first. The second is tell rather than show. It is always better to show than to tell.

Alela Diane has a new album out. She is touring too.

Until next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

HE DREAMT OF SNOW

The banner reads culture is constructed not consumed! Wise words. Two poems this post that I wrote in Catalunya. The first was a dre am. The...