Monday, August 24, 2026

RED SHIFT

I was in Granada some time ago for the Easter celebrations and to visit the Alhambra, which is breath taking in its beauty. I had a room in the old town, near the cathedral and the processions kept me awake and led to this poem.

PALM SUNDAY PROCESSION GRANADA


half asleep in your hotel room

on a street of darkened windows

loud voices converse

as if it wasn’t well after midnight

then you hear the drums slow beat

speak a language your blood almost knows

every now and then horns spike the night

unexpectedly you find yourself an observer

in a doppler effect experiment

as you note the red shift

all the way to the cathedral

The doppler effect is the change in the frequency of a sound as it passes by you, for example an ambulance's siren, how the pitch changes. Red shift is the colour change in the visual spectrum as observed from the earth. I think I am accurate in my description, you can always look it up via the hyper links.

Here's the marvellous Annabelle Chvostek. It would be good if she would tour again.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HE DREAMT OF SNOW

The banner reads culture is constructed not consumed! Wise words. Two poems this post that I wrote in Catalunya. The first was a dre am. The...