Monday, September 14, 2026

BACKDROP TO THEIR PRIVATE DREAMS

Situations can prompt poems. I was once on at a festival and while I relaxed on the grass watching the bands I could not help seeing all the rubbish that the festival goers were just throwing on the floor and the team of people cleaning up after them. This poem arose from that observation.

Human Geology


the band crank it out, urgent, loud,

such a brief time to impress


below them hands in the air

almost a single mass of flesh

caught up in their moment


others further away

drink, talk, laugh, vape

the festival the backdrop to their private dramas


everywhere

unnoticed in viz-vests

people paid by the hour

stoop to collect cans into plastic bags

It works but it never made it into a book. Never the less such on the spot writing is good for one's poetry chops.

Here's Alela Diane. Here latest album is excellent.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HE DREAMT OF SNOW

The banner reads culture is constructed not consumed! Wise words. Two poems this post that I wrote in Catalunya. The first was a dre am. The...