This poem is a true story, though I might have exaggerated intensity of the rainfall. I think they must have been new to the missionary game as it was 7:30 pm on a Monday evening and it had started to rain. Perhaps it did happen like this it was many years ago...
INQUISITION
When the rain arrived in heavy soaking curtains,
he was stopped by a pair of bright young faces
which burned with the missionary’s certainty.
Solemnly they enquired if he believed in God,
if he had received the grace of religion.
He thanked them and said he had.
As a pantheist, he could see God’s beauty everywhere,
even in the raindrops funnelling around them in the night.
Then they asked about Jesus Christ
and
were told he needed no middleman.
I have featured this in readings and it usually goes down well. Not much else to say about it really.
Here's Iron and Wine live.
Until next time.


No comments:
Post a Comment