Monday, July 20, 2026

SUDDENLY ALIVE

One summer I appeared at six festivals. The Pre-Covid was more amenable to poets at music festivals. As I travelled I happened to stop at Hastings and needed to wash my clothes. I wrote this as I watched them tumble around the machine.

WASHATERIA BLUES


he envied his clothes

in the laundrette’s tumbling drum

suddenly alive

happier without him inside

free to tangle to have fun

to throw impossible shapes

that would break a limb


the next morning he sensed

their longing for something

beyond his predictable moves


their reproach apparent in each casual crease

This is a good exercise, when you have some time write about what you see. Turn off your inner critic and keep writing until something sparks. I use this technique often and you would be surprised at what pops up.

Here's new song I'm rather taken with, The Womack Sisters and Chauffeur.

Until next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

SUDDENLY ALIVE

One summer I appeared at six festivals. The Pre-Covid was more amenable to poets at music festivals. As I travelled I happened to stop at Ha...