Monday, September 28, 2026

INTO THE RAIN AND TWILIGHT

Travelling is always good inspiration for me, and I am lucky enough to have been able to travel. This is a poem I began on a bus and describes the place I had just left.

ABROAD 


He sat down at the next table,

began editing papers

written in neat long hand.


We were holiday lax,

lippy with the wine.

The freedom of being in another country

had set us talking ten to the dozen.


Suddenly it occurs to me

he could be writing down our every word,

for he’s turned the paper over

and is scribbling hell for leather.

I wonder if we’re worth such an effort.


As we stand to go for the bus,

he packs up and shoulders past,

into the rain and the twilight.

I think I like it because of the memory it describes. It is not a particularly accomplished poem. It does go down well at readings though.

The Womack Sisters have a new album out. It is well worth a listen.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HE DREAMT OF SNOW

The banner reads culture is constructed not consumed! Wise words. Two poems this post that I wrote in Catalunya. The first was a dre am. The...