Friday, September 25, 2026

FEATHER AND WING

I read a lot of science fiction, not as much as I did when I was younger, but enough. This poem is an oddity, I think it works but I also think it needs to be part of a sequence. I haven't written that sequence yet.

extract from The Song of the Variable-Sweep Wings


the silence of the great extinction

settled on the shoulders of the survivors

as if for the first time

they could see all that had been lost


and so set to refashion their world

shipping in from beyond the stars

mechanical birds to jewel their skies


and fill a space long vacated

by sinew and bone

feather and wing


having captured the thermal

see how their propellers idle

as they spiral ever higher

to spectrograph heaven with their metal tongues 

I like the epic nature of the poem, the feeling that the world will persist whatever we do. I know it will but these days I wonder if we will manage to persevere.

Here's another track off Maya de Vitry's new album.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HE DREAMT OF SNOW

The banner reads culture is constructed not consumed! Wise words. Two poems this post that I wrote in Catalunya. The first was a dre am. The...